things to do Troy ny
Capital District Region of New York’s best resources for events and entertainment news for communities from Albany to Lake George including Troy, Schenectady and Saratoga Springs. Check out the latest event news and event calendar. You can also add your own event news or calendar entry. So many sources for entertainment including a lively Downtown Tory city center with events and live music in the countless restaurants and bars. Tons of concert venues where bands from around the world come to entertain the residents and guests of Troy.
Check out all the exciting events in the Albany area!
is a city
in the U.S. State
of New York
and the seat
of Rensselaer County
. The city is located on the western edge of Rensselaer County and on the eastern bank of the Hudson River
. Troy has close ties to the nearby cities of Albany
, forming a region popularly called the Capital District
. The city is one of the three major centers for the Albany Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA), which has a population of 1,170,483. At the 2010 census
, the population of Troy was 50,129. Troy's motto is Ilium fuit, Troja est
, which means "Ilium was, Troy is".
Before European arrival, the area was settled by the Mahican Indian tribe
. The Dutch began settling in the mid 17th century; the patroon Kiliaen van Rensselaer
called the area Pafraets Dael, after his mother. Control of New York passed to the English in 1664 and in 1707 Derick Van der Heyden purchased a farm near today's downtown area
. In 1771 Abraham Lansing had his farm in today's Lansingburgh
laid out into lots. Responding to Lansing's success to the north, in 1787, Van der Heyden's grandson Jacob had his extensive holdings surveyed and laid out into lots as well, calling the new village Vanderheyden.
In 1789, Troy got its current name after a vote of the people. In 1791, Troy was incorporated as a town
and extended east across the county to the Vermont
line and included Petersburgh
. In 1796, Troy became a village
and in 1816 it became a city. Lansingburgh, to the north, became part of Troy in 1900.