The Albany Symphony will perform seven world premieres from July 2 to July 8 in a unique cross-regional experience that will highlight vibrant communities, emerging artistic talent and the power of the arts.
The free concerts will be performed aboard a barge or canal-side and feature never-before-heard works from emerging composers. Each of these seven composers has spent time in their host community, collaborating with local artists and residents to understand the town’s unique connection to the canal.
Additionally, the Albany Symphony and the New York State Canal Corporation will work closely with residents to present celebrations of each community’s cultural resources, food, beverages and activities to best highlight the products and tourism opportunities along the canal route.
Sunday, July 2nd, 8pm: Albany
- Corning Preserve/Jennings Landing Amphitheatre
- Composer Daniel Schlosberg (Yale University)
- Collaborating Arts Partner: Empire State Youth Orchestra’s Jazz Ensemble and Skidmore College Storytellers’ Institute
Monday, July 3rd, 8pm: Schenectady
- Mabee Farm Historic Site
- Composer: Annika Socolofsky (Princeton University)
- Collaborating Arts Partner: Capital Repertory Theatre
- Additional performances by the Schenectady Symphony Orchestra
Tuesday, July 4th, 8pm: Amsterdam
- Riverlink Park
- Composer: Angelica Negrón (The City College of New York)
- Collaborating Arts Partner: Mohawk Valley Chorus
Wednesday, July 5th, 8pm: Little Falls
- Rotary Park – Barge Performance
- Composer: Benjamin Wallace (Yale University)
- Collaborating Arts Partner: Mohawk Valley Choral Society
Thursday, July 6th, 8pm: Baldwinsville
- Paper Mill Island Amphitheatre
- Composer: Ryan Chase (Colgate University)
- Collaborating Arts Partner: Syracuse Pops Chorus
Friday, July 7th at 8pm: Brockport
- Welcome Center – Barge Performance
- Composer: Loren Loiacono (Cornell University)
- Collaborating Arts Partner: Golden Eagle String Band
- Additional performances by choreographers/dancers Eddie Murphy and Mariah Mahoney
Saturday, July 8th, 8pm: Lockport
- Historic “Flight of Five Locks” – Barge Performance
- Composer: David Mallamud
The Albany Symphony fulfills its mission by performing, commissioning, and recording the work of established and emerging American composers. Founded in 1930, the Symphony is privileged to serve a diverse regional audience covering more than seven counties of New York and parts of three states.